One thing that’s crucial to sharing your horror cosplay with a wide audience is having a good photographer. We interviewed often-submitter Soulfire Studio to tell us about how to take a good photo, what it’s like doing cosplay photography—and tips on getting a great horror shot!
1) What area do you work out of? What cons do you frequent?
Although, I have been known to make special exceptions depending on the interest I get for certain cons. The more interest I get, the more likely it is that I’ll attend for shoots with people!
2) How do you find cosplayers to shoot?
I absolutely love working with new people, I will always jump at the opportunity to work with new cosplayers!
3) How is shooting horror different than other cosplay photography?
For example, Fatal Frame and Amnesia both scare the pants off me. Is that going to translate into a creepier photo with a really in depth feeling for how helpless you really are in those games? Oh, most definitely.
4) What do you feel is important when setting up a horror shot?
Angles are fantastic tools in horror shoots. I am a huge fan of making it seem like the cosplayer is attacking the camera or that they’ll be emerging from the photo within the next few moments. Most horror games and animes are very intense series’, angles definitely help bring that in to the shoot. One of my favorite ways to work with angles is to have the cosplayer move and act in character as I move around them with my camera and take photos (this works especially fantastic with Fatal Frame ghosts). You’ll have more than a few photos you can’t use, but the ones that turn out are phenomenal.
5) What kind of gear do you have?
6) What is your favorite part of cosplay photography?
7) Anything we haven’t covered?
8) Where can people contact you?
We send our thanks for a great interview! :)
- travelertheo likes this
- motorcycledeathcage reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- redroggue reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- 2spooky4u-xoxo likes this
- zhmogeliukas likes this
- cosplaycounsel reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- johnlight reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- johnlight likes this
- mitsukouchiha likes this
- catalystcatalyst reblogged this from theroachsalad
- helila likes this
- jikashi likes this
- fluoroantimonic likes this
- damuhomo likes this
- connor-is-the-captain-of-my-bed likes this
- snake-bitez likes this
- vieridebitchtits likes this
- theroachsalad likes this
- theroachsalad reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- redbettyboots likes this
- belovedsacrifice reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- tgcv likes this
- naishiteru likes this
- bindusara reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- humanscandrivestick likes this
- jessicajolt likes this
- drderange likes this
- celestialincendium reblogged this from littlebunnybunbun
- melvinopolis reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- unicorns-and-jellyfish reblogged this from littlebunnybunbun
- lemongrabthatbooty reblogged this from pancakeremix
- manakams likes this
- satteredhunter likes this
- sieghl reblogged this from pancakeremix
- sieghl likes this
- pancakeremix reblogged this from horrorcosplay and added:
- necrowithglasses reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- mistressmorgue likes this
- pilotofunit-00 likes this
- sabiitoothtiger likes this
- ladyflamewing reblogged this from horrorcosplay and added:
- masterbob reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- jeankurine likes this
- thefantasticpeterpan likes this
- littlebunnybunbun reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- soulfirephotos reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- sonozakiss reblogged this from tehheartlessnobody
- enchanteddeerboy reblogged this from horrorcosplay
- mayu4 reblogged this from horrorcosplay